SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – A decision on whether Grade 1 winner Dayatthespa will race in Saturday’s Grade 2, $250,000 Ballston Spa or in Sunday’s $150,000 Yaddo for New York-breds will not be made until Friday evening or possibly even Saturday morning.
Trainer Chad Brown said he planned to discuss the options with Dayatthespa’s owners Friday night. Earlier this week, Brown said he wanted to go in the race with the better pace scenario for Dayatthespa, who has good speed. Course condition will also be a determining factor. Both the Ballston Spa and the Yaddo will be run at 1 1/16 miles on turf.
Saratoga received a good deal of rain Thursday and the possibility for more precipitation exists Friday. As of 11:30 a.m. Eastern on Friday, skies were cloudy but there had only been occasional light mist in the area.
“If we were to get more rain today, that would make Sunday’s race more of a probability,” Brown said Friday morning.
Co-owner Peter Bradley said via Twitter on Friday, “We will wait until tomorrow a.m. to make decision. All depending on turf. Would like to run Sat. if turf isn’t too soft.”
The Ballston Spa is race 9, and the first of four consecutive stakes, on Saturday’s Travers Day card. The Ballston Spa has an approximate post time of 3:59 p.m. Eastern.
Turf races for Thursday and Friday at Saratoga were transferred to the main track.
Written by Daily Racing Form.